Sunday, January 24, 2016

What's Coming Up









I'm updating my blog tonight and thought it would be good to sort of review where I've been and where I'm going.

This year began a process of finding a new path.  I've wanted to be a teacher my whole life, and I always felt like all channels were closed to me. It's a long and complicated past so rather than make you read a novel, I'll just skip to the present and say that I got my Bachelor of Science in Organizational Leadership but have been unhappy in my work situation for quite a while.

This past fall, I began to realize that as long as I don't act, I'll be stuck- if I truly felt my calling was to teach children, then I needed to get serious about pursuing that and figure out another way to make my goal a reality.
So I began looking into grad school.

This month I began a math course I need to take before I can get into grad school. There are actually 3 course I'll need- college algebra, statistics, and U.S. Government. I'm not worried a bit about the government class, that will be a piece of cake, but I am expecting the math courses to be uphill work. Math has never been my friend.

Nevertheless, I feel a sense of calm and a lightness that I haven't felt in a long time. I don't know when I will finish school and get to be a teacher, but, just knowing that I'm moving steadily in that direction, no matter how slowly it comes, is a positive thing.

We all need direction in our lives.

Speaking of direction, I also have been so grateful lately that I have Jesus. I really don't know how I would do things if I didn't have Him. He is my rock and my fortress, and my constant companion. I lean in Him so much that I can't imagine a life without Him.

I have often asked for His direction in my life.  Of course God's purpose for us, His creation, is that we bring glory to Him.  But in keeping with that, the answer I'd get from God was that His goals for me were twofold- first, cling to Him so that He may work in me and create in me a reflection of Him, and second, that whatever I do- whether it be through being a teacher, or in the role of mother, or through a ministry- that I would be an instrument of God in reaching people.

I think that becoming a teacher will be good in several ways.
First, with a teaching license, I can work in a Christian school and have the opportunity to have a career where I'm using and sharing my faith every day!
If I don't work in a Christian school, I would not be allowed to share my faith in a public school, however, a public school may be a good place to at least be able to plant the seeds of love and faith in precious children who may be coming from more difficult backgrounds.
I have felt the pull from the mission field, and believe that experience as a teacher would help me in missions. With a teaching license, I would be more qualified to be a teacher in a place that needed a teacher- rather than going simply as a missionary but without any teaching credentials.
Third, if I am ever blessed with marriage and children, being a licensed teacher will assist me in teaching my children.
If I don't get to have a marriage and family life raising children, then having a teaching license will be helpful as I will need to have a career for myself when I'm on my own.

So, I'm very excited to see where my life will be going!

There have been lots of wonderful things happening lately. My sister is possibly soon-to-be engaged (there was a trip this weekend to choose rings!) and my best friend and her husband are expecting their first baby in April.

I'm still working both jobs I had before, but I feel more encouraged because I know now that they are just temporary jobs until I begin my career.

Well, I've updated you about the changes coming. But I'm still me, and I haven't changed at all. I still love learning about everything, mostly the Bible but there's almost nothing I'm not interested in learning more about. I still fall asleep to documentaries about the Great Sphinx and ancient civilizations and the moon. I still love going to plays. I still love scary movies...as long as they're not gory!! I still love Thai restaurants and yes, I still order the exact same thing at every new Thai place I try! I still laugh at the silliest things. I still love a good conspiracy theory! I still love animals and even though I know it's totally ridiculous, I still feel worried about the squirrels when it gets cold outside! I still am super close to my family and know I've got the best one in the world.

The important things haven't changed at all.

But, I feel I'm growing closer to God each and every day. And that's the best thing.












No comments:

Post a Comment